Unprecedented scale, agility, and cloud economics remove data silos and provide visibility to enhance business value.
Is Your Data Working For You?
Today, 70% of an organization’s data lives in secondary storage1—providing little business value. For the last decade, data protection solutions have used purpose-built appliances and expensive storage options. Infrastructure for data protection created a dilemma: either continue to be locked into expensive, hard-to-scale, purpose-built appliances or continue to over-purchase on traditional storage to house the expanding volume of secondary data. Enterprises met the challenge by purchasing both, resulting in more costly infrastructure and increased complexity. Data silos created a lack of visibility into the data.
Scalability without constraint. Protection without compromise. Access without limits.
Solve your data protection challenges with a solution that combines Cisco’s proven UCS infrastructure and Commvault® HyperScaleTM Software.
Today, digital transformation initiatives are leading many organizations to look for ways to gain more value from their data while controlling costs. Cloud providers and web companies use an innovative approach for developing and operating data center infrastructure. New web-scale strategies offer the simplicity, scale, performance, and resiliency that enterprises need, with significantly lower TCO.
How can the ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS® offering be applied to data protection to provide unprecedented benefits?
Introducing ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS®
ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS® delivers web-scale data services for data protection using industry standard x86 servers while providing best-in-class data management.
By combining Cisco’s UCS servers with industry-leading Commvault Hyperscale™ Software, customers gain unprecedented scale-out flexibility and agility with uncompromised data management — all with cloud-like economics and true hybrid cloud capabilities. Cisco UCS® revolutionized the server market through its programmable fabric and automated management that simplify application and service deployment.
Commvault Hyperscale™ Software provides a full suite of data services for protecting, indexing, securing, automating, reporting, and natively accessing data. In addition, Commvault Hyperscale™ Software provides insight into the data, thereby creating the value the business demands.
Transform your data center and drive cost savings with a predictable and highly scalable data protection architecture not available anywhere else. Streamline every phase of your data infrastructure and its data protection lifecycle, from infrastructure purchase and deployment, to recovery, search and access.
ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS® technology enables organizations to:
- Today, up to 70% of data resides in secondary storage1, stored in multiple data silos.
- Purpose built appliances in use today are costly when scaling and usually require "forklift" migration during technology refreshes—also forcing vendor lock-in.
- Data silos and existing point solutions make it virtually impossible to manage data in a holistic and comprehensive manner, limiting the value of the data.
- The trend is unsustainable with high risk—creating data portability and visibility is essential.
SCALE: Reduce data footprint by breaking down data silos
- Scale incrementally, as needed, increasing your agility
- Align the value of the data to the cost of the storage
- Drive greater resource utilization through shared compute and storage pools vs. legacy dedicated or siloed resources
- Eliminate point products and purpose-built appliances
MANAGE: Remove complexity and gain value from your data
- Reduce costs of secondary data storage with industry standard, x86 servers
- Scale servers and performance, without compromising protection and data access
- Improve recovery point and recovery time objectives and service levels
- Securely unlock core data assets for secondary uses to increase user productivity
OPTIMIZE: Gain the complete flexibility you need
- Single, unified solution for all secondary data needs from on-premises to virtual and cloud
- Increase visibility into your data to unlock business value—regardless of where the data lives
- Improve end-user satisfaction with self-service capabilities across sites and infrastructures
- Better utilize IT staff with data policy and automation tools, eliminating error-prone scripting
Scale-out Data Protection: How It Promises to Revolutionize Recovery Capabilities for Enterprises and Managed Service Provider
Enterprises and managed service providers (MSPs) alike should be looking for data protection architectures that have scale-out capabilities built into their core foundation.
How Commvault and Cisco Work Together For You
Commvault and Cisco optimize data protection architecture with:
- Cisco UCS® C240: C-Series Rack Servers deliver unified computing in an industry-standard form factor to simplify delivery, reduce TCO and increase agility. Each server addresses varying workload challenges through a balance of processing, memory, I/O, and internal storage resources.
- Cisco UCS® S3260: S-Series Storage Servers deliver rapid, predictable scalability, resiliency, and performance to activate your data and discover new business insights in real time. The modular architecture lets you right-size infrastructure for the workload and operate with the efficiency and TCO you need.
- Commvault Hyperscale™ Software: Unlike other solutions, Commvault HyperScale™ Software enables customers to manage all of their data in one unified view, regardless of where the data lives—across on-premises, virtualized, private, public, and hybrid cloud infrastructures. Software defined data services scale to meet the demanding requirements of today’s enterprise, including data copy management, deduplication, cloud connectors, and more. Indexed search provides unprecedented visibility and data access, enhancing the business value of all of your secondary data.
Commvault produces reference designs, reducing time to deployment, lowering overall IT costs, and reducing implementation time. Customers gain a highly agile solution for data protection while reducing hardware and software costs, increasing scalability, mitigating risks, and reducing complexity.
Why the ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS® Solution?
The challenges of modernizing your approach to data protection can seem intimidating. Now there is a unique solution not available anywhere else. Cisco’s UCS converged servers and Commvault HyperScale™ Software: For every aspect of your data protection environment, whether it is on-premises, virtual, or a hybrid. Commvault integrates the protection of applications, databases, and hypervisor layers with the underlying Cisco infrastructure to deliver a simple, cost effective web-scale solution — with the added value of the most cloud integrations available today. All of this provides the agility, flexibility, scalability, and cost effectiveness you need — now and in the future.
Futureproof Your Secondary Data Protection
Take Action Now
Simplify and reduce costs with a transformative approach to data protection — one that operates at web-scale for greater efficiency, predictable economics, and high performance, while reducing costs and improving visibility across all of your secondary data.
The advantage of ScaleProtect™ with Cisco UCS®
Commvault and Cisco have refined scale-out data protection architecture to be as simple as it is effective and efficient. It ensures you achieve faster time to value through:
- Unmatched visibility into all secondary data
- Simplified deployment/expansion
- Elimination of forklift upgrades
- Highly scalable – expand seamlessly (no specialized architectures)
- Improve productivity through automation
- Software provides resiliency/redundancy
- Distributed architecture: on-premises, virtualized, hybrid cloud (on your terms)
- Restore-less recovery and live access
- 1 2015 Big Data and Analytics Survey, IDG Enterprise, http://commvau.lt/2aGvtH4
- 2 Adoption and Trends in Object-based Storage, 2015 Data Storage Innovation Conference, http://commvau.lt/2bnNvwz
- 3 ibid
- 4 Survey: 50% of IT Teams Not Ready For Unstructured Data Growth, April, 2016 http://commvau.lt/2aVFafT
- 5 Disaster Recovery in a Virtual World, 2016, http://commvau.lt/2auMhPI